Venator Sapentia

Go Back   Venator Sapentia > << General >> > General Forum

Old 01-04-2005, 10:57 AM   #1
Faction
Ya I suck - NO TITLE FOR YOU!

Wondering about WoW

Well.. I did the EQ2 Thing. It didnt really hold my interest like EQ did. Thinking about WoW. I watched a friend of mine play it. I like the way it looks and the fact that you dont need an intense machine to run it.

Just wondering how EQ2 or WoW is holding up for you all?
Faction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Ming
STFU, I'm The Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faction
Well.. I did the EQ2 Thing. It didnt really hold my interest like EQ did. Thinking about WoW. I watched a friend of mine play it. I like the way it looks and the fact that you dont need an intense machine to run it.

Just wondering how EQ2 or WoW is holding up for you all?
Yep I'm in the same boat. EQ2 is zzzZZZ.

oh-for-fuck'sake
Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
Musashi

EQ2 holding up very well here. Out of the 40 CLAW(some VS) that started with us. We have about 20+ online a nite. Lots of people around 25ish who spend 1/3 of their time questing, 1/3 of their time adventuring in new zones(more zones to level in than time to do them.. we leveled past alot of them before we got to see them) and 1/3 of their time doing tradeskills. Will know more when we start to raid. Got our first 24 person raid Wed nite. Access quest for the zone took about 3 hours which wasnt so bad.

Of the 10 CLAW who play WoW they seem to enjoy it also.

Musashi

Trying to wrestle two kids before they PK me..

www.C-L-A-W.org
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
Bryden Invictus
Blossom, Bubbles & Buttercup HO!

I played EQ2 briefly and been playing WOW since the last stages of closed beta. For me EQ2 wasn't bad, I just liked WOW better. Personal preference I guess, because I am sure that some folks would love EQ2.

What I like about WOW the most is the instances are designed for groups. Its not that hard to get 5 friends and do one quickly. The quest system is excellent, and the rewards are very nice. I like how they have named in the game that can drop nice items, but their is also a random chance for a great item for level on anything that level.

I played with a couple of guys in beta and stuck with em thru release, but would be glad to give a leg up or group with any old VS, and friends.

On the Eonar PVE Server. Main is Buckshot, gimme a yell.

Later

Bry
Bryden Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:49 PM   #5
Crazdem
Captain Obvious

I have been playing EQ2. Its almost like EQ1 was when it first came out except leveling so far is not like a job. Quests and tradeskills I feel are far better. I started off on the evil side but that got boering so I went to the good side. The only downside really from EQ2 is that it requires a monster computer to play.

Never played wow so no idea about that.
Duilin, Davonte
Crazdem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
Faction

Well I broke. I started WoW last night and I chose a Dorf Hunter.

All I can say is I am loving it. I ABSOLUTELY love the seemles zoning. I always hated that about EQ and REALLY hated it about EQ2. Thats what I hated most about EQ2 was all the zoning it took to get around in the cities. And the more I zone the more it would slow down my computer.

WoW to me has done a great job of combineing stuff from EQ2 and EQ. It has taken a lot of the features I really liked about EQ2 like the Quests and the Quest logs and combined ith with the in world feel I love about EQ. The environment you run around in emersing like EQ. To me EQ2 felt like a game I played. EQ felt like a world I was in. WoW gives me the same feel. WoW also seems to me to run better then even EQ does. I can go into Ironforge with little to no problems in lag or jumpy graphics. I go into PoK and have a hard time running in a straight line.

And im ruinning 512MB, 2.4ghz, GeForce 6800 GT OC. I would have figured with this setup at least EQ would run a little better but pfft be damned if it does.

Anywho. WoW was written very nicely. It runs very fast and next to no load time when starting up. I like it so far but I still like EQ and Im loving my 64 BL so ill have a hard time between the 2.
Faction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:51 PM   #7
Fezyk
Does anybody want a peanut?

Send a message via AIM to Fezyk
Personally, I love WoW, and the Night Elf's starting area in particular. Its the most breath-taking scenery I've ever seen in a game. The game-play is very fun and it eliminates down-time for the most part. The time sinks of EQ (camping, LFG, etc) just aren't there for WoW (at least not yet). The zones are seemless, the faction system is simple, little things like dps and even pet dps are available without the need of an external application.

All-in-all, I have no complaints about the game other than some rare server outages.

~Jim Elliot
Fezyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:17 PM   #8
Frakis

I never thought I'd leave eq for it but wow is pretty amazing =). Althought I'm wondering what there is to do once you've finished leveling to 60. So far there doesn't seem to be anything to work towards except getting better gear and faction. I think the quests in the game are spectacular. I can't remember the last time I did a quest in eq that wasn't for a flag or something of that nature, and gotten an upgrade for it. Whereas wow all I've done since I started playing was work on quests. It make's the gaming experience a lot more enjoyable. Anyhow playing with a few VS'rs on Uther as Frakis if you ever feel like popping in to bump around feel free to say hi.
Frakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:54 AM   #9
Aazzelar

Send a message via AIM to Aazzelar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frakis
Althought I'm wondering what there is to do once you've finished leveling to 60.
oh oh lemme answer this:

you make a character on our server cause I'm sick of people that try to raid stratholme/blackrock spire/scholomance...WE NEED MORE SKILLED EQ PLAYERS!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
Dardo - 60 Hunter Argent Dawn server
Aazzelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:18 PM   #10
Tilan
The Admin has lost it - NO TITLE FOR YOU!

You really like the NE starting area Fez...I liked it at first but all the colors and trees get old, maybe its because I was an NE in all phases of the beta. Personally places like Desolace and Tanaris are cool to me, I really like how they did the reflections of the sun and moon on sand and water and such. Unfortunately I let Frakis and Galo beat me to 60 but guess if I played more than 4 or 5 hours a week I could have kept up. All and all it is a very fun game, but eventually EQ will summon me back.
Tilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:58 PM   #11
Galo

Its true though, once you hit 60, its back to EQ style with a little twist. There are still plenty of quests you can do at 60 but you still working toward better gear. Most of the quests are of course kill boss = get cool gear. The only thing I'm beginning to hate is the groupage needed for these things. Can't escape needing a healer, AE'er, and tank. Thankfully I play a mage and I'm needed most of the time for these instances. But I can see playing other classes getting the end of the stick and not being needed besides fillers. I hated that in EQ but nothing you can do about it. WoW is still an amazing game but its a game from Blizzard..where they make a simple game and somehow put some addictiveness to it. Can't complain, I'm hooked and need to make an alt already since I'm almost done upgrading my mage.

Gnomling - Retired WoW 60 Mage on Uther
Galolron - Retired EQ1 Monk on Xegony
Galo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:00 PM   #12
Wounder
Small but deadly

Send a message via AIM to Wounder
To be fair, consider EQ when it was four months old... there wasn't a hell of a lot to do for level 50 folks either. Of course, there weren't as many folks maxed out in EQ, but that's a good thing.

I'm hoping and praying Battlegrounds is one thing to do that stays fairly fresh for level 60s. They also might consider sticking in some sort of hamster wheel again, a la AA points.
Wounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:05 AM   #13
Aganar

Screw battlegrounds. Pvp in these games is all the same, ala DAoC.

I'm just hoping they put in raid content for mid-size raids. From what I can tell, Molten Core and Onyxia are 30-40 man raid instances, whereas I'd like to see some 3-4 group content that isn't called Upper BLackrock Spire (which CAN be done with 2 groups).

The embodiment of Agatude
...like grandma used to say, 'Fuck it!'

Build a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for the night. Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
Aganar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:10 PM   #14
Blaane
Behold the Power of Mangina!

WoW just doesnt appeal to me. You level hard core to the max then all you can really do is either raid, twink, or PvP. No offense, but that is EQ1 all over again. And they have huge size raids which require you to have so many healers/tanks/etc. TRUE, it wont be as bad as EQ1, but it still is there.
Right now I am playing EQ2 and the number of options are just amazing. The way they do instancing of normal zones (a zone gets too filled up so they make another instance of it). I got into a Nektropolis castle group the other night and my heart was pumping. It had a whole slew of quests, number of named mobs, and the dungeon crawl just for the group that was nothing like LDON.
It would take alot to get me away from EQ2.

Only the dead know the end of war
Blaane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:51 PM   #15
Musashi

CLAW has been hitting Nek Castle hard for the last month about 3 heritage quests require you to go there..

Manastone and a few others I cant think of ATM

Musashi

Trying to wrestle two kids before they PK me..

www.C-L-A-W.org
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:35 PM   #16
Aazzelar

Send a message via AIM to Aazzelar
from what i've seen you either like EQ2 or you like WoW, and there is no way to change peoples minds over that.

------------------------------------------------------------
Dardo - 60 Hunter Argent Dawn server
Aazzelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:02 PM   #17
Tanny
Hieeeeeeeeeeeee!

I believe you can like both if you're willing to try out both, I personally would like to try out EQ2 but I just don't have the time nor money with me being somewhat inbetween jobs. I'm not saying that WoW is better than EQ2 or vise versa, theres no way for me to know that considering I've never played EQ2 and I personally don't take 'what Ive heard about it' as an account to what I should think about it because I will try it for myself one day. What I would like is to have hot and steamy sex with Lindsay Lohan.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:42 PM   #18
Tilan

Sounds good Tanny, sign me up for that too!
Tilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:11 PM   #19
Exarch Teralyn

Send a message via AIM to Exarch Teralyn Send a message via Yahoo to Exarch Teralyn
Whos Lindsey Lohan?

Anyway, sounds like you guys are having fun with WoW. I will pick it up sometime soon and see what its all about. Although you all are wayyy ahead of me, I might still enjoy it.
EQ2 frustrated me too much. I left that awhile back. Not been playing anything lately. Working and doing mommy things. I miss EQ but, there is no one left there and to me, thats what made it fun. My buddies. Now my buddies are scattered about here and there. So I sorta just gave up.
I hate my job though, so I think I am quitting next week. tryin to decide if I should wait and see if I can force myself into acceptance of it, or if I should walk out frustrated and really let em have it as to why I am leaving.
I will probably walk out frustrated and let em have it. Its the only way I will get closure /sigh.
Then I will come join ya all in WoW lol.