Venator Sapentia

Go Back   Venator Sapentia > << General >> > World of Warcraft

Old 10-31-2004, 01:03 AM   #1
Slak
Amazingly Witty Title!

WoW vs EQ2

Anyone who has played WoW a lot also played EQ2?

I ... came across some EQ2 access and first logging in was just horrible compared to WoW. Granted, I went into the Tutorial first, but it's horrible. And why do shadows = 0 fps? :/

Servers came down so I didn't get to try it out much, but it seems to dull. Only two starting locations? *Two*? One for evil and one for good. Very neat..
Looking at the world map made the world seem rather small, too, when comparing to the world of EQ1. Perhaps it's bigger than it looks. Someone tell me it is.
The races all look so identical (this I could tell from just the char creator).
My first 30 min in EQ2 were not satisfying at all...but I'm a be giving it some more time since I'll unfortunately have the game in just over a week.

The default UI is horrid. I was glad to find out I could get rid of the widescreen crap. Going to have to fiddle with that a lot.

So..if you have played both WoW and EQ2 for a not-so-small amount of time, what is your opinion of the two in play? Graphics are totally different styles, and are really preference imo, but how does the gameplay come out in EQ2 compared to WoW?

Edit- now that i've been playing for a good few hours, I can definately say I've found some really annoying things! It keeps popping up text long after the event's gone by. I've been sitting here for a couple min and it's still saying Quest Journal Update! You did not find any quest items. Over and over.
And it's usually saying You got better at random_skill_i_never_used_yet! (x) constantly, too....It has a sound with it but I managed to turn that off thankfully. I just ignore that text.

Last edited by Slak; 10-31-2004 at 04:13 AM.
Slak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 11:15 AM   #2
Geist
Ya I suck - NO TITLE FOR YOU!

In terms of system requirements (why shadows cause you to go to low FPS), WoW was specifically designed to be lower end in terms of poly counts and whatnot. WoW does not have a lot, if any, dynamic lighting effects.. while the lighting in EQ2 I believe is real time.

Blizz very intentionally kept their system reqs low in a time when the current generation of MMO developers are all shooting for photo realism. WoW will be sucking up the people who don't want to upgrade their machines to play EQ2 or anything else for a long time.

I wanted to hate WoW so much hehe, but I'm having enough fun that I'm not even interested in testing EQ2, though I have the machine for it.
Faith is the antithesis of proof.
<=======---------=======>
Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 11:33 AM   #3
Blaane
Behold the Power of Mangina!

WoW graphics are fabulous. The spell effects are great. Sound is amazing. Questing engine is great. Starting out is a little tough, but after playing EQ1 start I can start anything.
Now gameplay is BORING BORING BORING and BORING. There is no challenge to it. I played for a weekend, made 4 char. The only one that got me any interest was rogue. I never had a fear of dying in here. I battled 4 goblins at the same time and i only died on the last one, and that was barely lost. What is the point of playing if you have no challenge? I went threw the entire world and was not invis to see it. And you get items every which way. I want goodies, but I dont want it to rain with it. Give me a challenge and if i beat it, i get cookie. Also the xp comes WAY too fast. Blizzard already admitted that they want ya to get to top lvl (50 i believe). So you are entering the EQ1 syndrome, nothing happens till you get to the high lvl game. I WANT the journey, and entertain me while i go there. And from the way it sounds EQ2 just fills it with this.
I just see EQ2 have so much more potential for growth and the journey to get to the high lvl alot more fun.

Only the dead know the end of war
Blaane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
Slak
Amazingly Witty Title!

I'm a fan of WoW, personally. And the graphics are beautiful and I love the fact that they don't lag my machine, I don't have the money to buy another top of the line machine

I'm more looking for EQ2 information, from someone who has played both a fair amount....played WoW for a monthish myself.

In WoW, they want everyone to be able to solo to 60 (which is cap at this time, and until they raise it in an expansion if they do), so the mobs out in the world are, for the most part, soloable by anyone. The most challenging parts of WoW are in the instances, or doing quests that are a few levels above you.

What I don't like about EQ2:
It tells you if a mob is a Group mob or a Solo mob. You know if you can kill it without touching it.
It tells you what mobs, if any, will come with the mob you have targetted. For example, if I target mob x, and mobs y and z will also come, they will also have a targetting circle and their names'll pop up as well as my target's.

Just a guess, but I'm betting the raid mobs will tell you they're Raid mobs, eh?

In EQ2, if I tried to kill an even level Group mob, I got owned. If I tried to kill 2 Group mobs 1 level below me it was really easy compared to killing the one my level.
Oh, and you get bonus exp for killing encounters like that (where mobs come together on the pull)...and I think, but I could be wrong, you don't get exp if you kill one, run, and not kill the other(s).

PS: Geist, I'm only "testing" EQ2 cause WoW is down ^_^

Last edited by Slak; 10-31-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:59 PM   #5
Slak
Amazingly Witty Title!

Ok, I was wrong. It doesn't say "raid" it says "Group x#"
THAT IS RIDICULOUS.

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/showt...threadid=12747

It's in one of the pics. The Vision of Vox is a 4 group encounter.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:06 PM   #6
Musashi

EQ2 is made for "casual" gamers. When you log in and head to an XP spot you know what mobs you can kill to get xp, if you want a challenge you try harder mobs. You know what mobs are the harder mobs. What Casual Gamer wants to log in try some new mob and die then try to get his corpse shard then have to pay off the XP debt when he only has 40 minutes to play. In EQ2 it is a journey from 1-50 there is so much content from 1-20 you could level 2 different toons and find it hard to xp in the same zones each time. At one time I had over 100 quests to finish at level 15.

I talked to a shaman who hated healing in EQ1 but has found it to be fun in EQ2 and if being a healer can be fun in EQ2 what cant be?

I agree that knowing what is coming is as much fun as a surprise but in EQ1 you are only surprised 1 time when you find a new zone after that you know what mobs you can kill and what mobs you cant. In EQ2 they take out that first surprise and get on to the killling. Raids arent 56+ people killing one mob its 24 people killing multiple mobs in some type of event.

I havent played WoW but the fact you level so fast makes me stay away from it. Most games where you can level really fast usually mean they lack content and people get bored Very Easy once they hit max level so fast. In a game where it takes time to build your character and build it how you like makes you more likely to stick to that game. In EQ2 you choose specific skills, traits and traditions as you level so no toon is Exactly alike(well unless they chose the same 15 skills/traits/traditions)

ill add more if i think of it

Musashi

Trying to wrestle two kids before they PK me..

www.C-L-A-W.org
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 04:45 PM   #7
Slak
Amazingly Witty Title!

If 4 groups of 6 people died to Vox (who is labeled as a 4 Group encounter) doesn't that mean it's a >24 person raid? =(

I have yet to do anything with my char other than receive a bunch of stuff I didn't do anything for or didn't even care for. I'm only level 7, but when I get a new skill it suddenly appears on my hotbar and that kills some of the fun for me, personally.

Being automatically given 50,000 (ok, more like 20 or so) tradeskills and other misc skills I don't want or don't even know how to use is just annoying. If I want something, I should have to ask for it, not be given stuff I don't want.

Can you explain why I'm getting better at skills without using them? And why it keeps popping up the *entire* time I'm playing saying I've gotten better at random_skill_00 with an annoying sound (which I've since turned off), which I already mentioned I haven't used?

Having to become a citizen to level up past 6 is kinda dumb too! At least you still earn exp normally, though. And you also get your skills apparently.

Last edited by Slak; 10-31-2004 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:20 PM   #8
Musashi

there are mobs that are labeled 2 group encounter, 3 group encounters and 4 group encounters.

As you level you certain Skills go up, Like swimming iF you are a level 50 adventurer wouldnt it make sense that you know how to swim? It keeps you from having to waste time swimming around to improve that skill.

The skills/spells you get are basic, after that you have to find a sage to make you new ones or get ones off of mobs.
Spells/skills go App1 which is the basic version to App2, App3, Master I, II,III and IV(very very rare only a few per server)

I think sages can make up to Master III and App 2's are vendor bought.

Musashi

www.C-L-A-W.org
Old 10-31-2004, 06:02 PM   #9
Musashi

http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/e...essage.id=1552

movie of some EQ2 fight

Musashi

www.C-L-A-W.org

Last edited by Musashi; 10-31-2004 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:04 PM   #10
Slak
Amazingly Witty Title!

I don't think I should know how to use Swords or Thrown weapons without actually using them. :/
Old 10-31-2004, 06:17 PM   #11
Musashi

True Slak BUT they dont want people to waste time learning skillls. This is about getting in the game and enjoying it. But who knows they may change it. I have plenty of stuff I can spend my time on than learning how to throw some weapon .... I would rather be xping, raiding or working tradeskills.

Musashi

www.C-L-A-W.org
Old 10-31-2004, 10:45 PM   #12
Slak
Amazingly Witty Title!

So I've been playing EQ2 just about all day.

If you wanna log on and play for 40 minutes at a time, WoW is far superior to EQ2, at least so far. You can get so much more done. You definately can't solo much in EQ2 at low levels. It's another put up lfg and pray for a group thing for me. How is that good for a 'casual gamer'?

As for the trait thing...I got one at level 8. I could choose between str, sta, agi, int, or wis. How is that unique? Obviously all similar classes will have the same one there..I hope they have a lot more variety that's useful to each class.

Last edited by Slak; 10-31-2004 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:53 PM   #13
Blaane
Behold the Power of Mangina!

What fun is it to kill stuff that easy? That is XP for the sake of XP. I WANT a challenge

I have done the group thing in WoW. No real benefit in it. With interwoven dependency it makes it alot more fun.

Only the dead know the end of war

Last edited by Blaane; 10-31-2004 at 10:55 PM.
Blaane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 05:56 AM   #14
Musashi

Grouping is where you get all your XP but you can solo Very Easily. What level are you? If you are below 10 go to Oakmyst or Peatsbog both of them have plenty of "solo" tagged mobs.

Musashi

www.C-L-A-W.org
Old 11-01-2004, 09:40 AM   #15
Geist

Isn't all exp for the sake of exp? :d It's not like we're fighting world hunger or the death of vinyl record printing by exp'ing characters in either game.

WoW can be very easy if you want it to be. I found some real challenge 20+ in the instanced zones and versus elite mobs. I spent plenty of time fighting mobs for specific drops that were nailbiter fights to the end each time. But yeah, if you chose to fight green con mobs and do green quests the entire time, I bet you could coast through the game into your 50s without seeing any challenge.

Same goes for EQ2 however... you could spend time doing lesser quests, or fighting lower level "solo mobs" or perhaps lower level "1 group mobs" if the levels at which you get exp for things widen up the way they do in EQ1.

WoW Isn't neccessarily easier, it just has a different philosophy on what it is to have life in a character. WoW's is almost like Diablo in that once you get a character maxed out there isn't really anything to do, unless they add some very deep raid style content very soon. There are a few development skills, like two trades per toon, fishing, cooking, and first aid.... but nothing as time consuming as EQ2's overall character "fleshing out".

For myself, I just can't see myself spending 5-6 years on another game. EQ Geist was never ever finished, no matter what you did, you were just never done. At some point, the time invested in a character becomes a reason to keep investing time in a character. (Who hasn't said to themselves, "I'd quit, but I've played for so long."?) I'm pretty sure EQ2's going too far for my likes in terms of how much time it'll take to develop your toon.. and I don't want to fall into that trap again.

"Fun" was something I always lost sight of in EQ because there was always some 45 hour project I had to complete, or 150 more AA to get. I'm not trying to knock EQ2 mind you, because I think a year after release it could be a great game. (The fact that there's no open beta makes me VERY suspicious about the readiness of the game currently.) The difference I guess is that I never stopped having fun with my toons in WoW, and that's what sold me.

edit: corrected some early morning spelling bloopers
Faith is the antithesis of proof.
<=======---------=======>
Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:17 AM   #16
Aganar

Eventually, you may even convince some people that they like EQ2 as much as you do...

Keep it up.

The embodiment of Agatude
...like grandma used to say, 'Fuck it!'

Build a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for the night. Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
Aganar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:39 PM   #17
Musashi

As Geist says EQ2 has the time sinks if you wish them, they have quests to take up your time, heritage quests for Jboots, FBSS etc etc are pretty cool. But it is really all about what you are looking for.... We are alot older than we were when we started playing EQ and our lives have changed so has our Gaming tastes.

To Aganar, People wanted to know about EQ2 so why not tell them the stuff I like about it? Wouldnt be a Fair comparison if you have nothing to compare it to....

Musashi

www.C-L-A-W.org
Old 11-01-2004, 04:58 PM   #18
Engel

Here's the thing for me.

Everquest, always made me feel behind. Like there was something time consuming that I had to complete to get to the next step. Often at the expense of my sleep. It was an investment that you often couldn't just walk away from, and couldn't just log in for an hour to get something done. In EQ, nothing was ever completed in an hour. You had to find a group, get to some remote location and by that time almost an hour was already gone. LDoN didn't even lighten that load, as you were definately looking at at least 2 hours to get a group and get set up to complete one dungeon. I spent a lot of time getting to where I was, and I probably didn't pay enough attention to my work, and to my family to make that worth the time.

WoW for me, is fun. I like creating characters and doing quests. I love crafting, because it doesn't take shopping for 4 hours in the bazaar and then finding the right vendor to do. I like the fun combat style, and that dying doesn't mean an added 30 minutes to an hour of your game time. The world is pretty, and dangerous. It's fun to explore like Everquest was when I first logged in. It well written, and well planned. You can make your charcter very unique with all the talents so that no two characters are alike. There is no lag. And, I have never come across a 1337 f00k3r that needed to grief me for any reason. All the higher end encounters are instanced, so there isn't anyone zerging over one another to get to a certain place or mob. And, I can log in for 20 minutes and still get things done. I can spend 20 minutes, or 8 hours and still enjoy the game. Very little frustrates me in WoW. You can solo, and you can group. You can be uber, and you can just hold your own. There is no gamer hierarchy. And, there seems to be pretty balanced PvP to keep those guys busy and let their aggressions out. If I want to take a month off, I don't have to spend 4 months trying to catch back up.

Time will tell, but I don't see myself playing Everquest II in any capacity. I've heard they had to tone down the graphics because of horrible lag, I've heard that they tossed a bunch of the armor skins you see in the video clips because players drop to 0 fps. I have heard that it's just another bloated code piece from Sony which promises to suck you in with a large time investment and an even larger amount of bugs and coding errors. I've heard nothing good come from the EQII camps except that it promises to be a good game. They said the same thing about StarWars.

"Prohasar man opre pirende-sa muro djiben semas opre chengende"

Last edited by Engel; 11-01-2004 at 05:01 PM.
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:17 PM   #19
Slak
Amazingly Witty Title!

So very true. That's what makes WoW so much better!

Another thing I find irritating in EQ2...is "Encounters."

No, an encounter is not just finding a mob....it's those linked mobs.
I was fighting a pair of linked mobs and ended up having to run after one died. I ran back a min later and hey, it was back. I'm guessing I didn't get exp for the one I killed, either. It kept telling me "you will no longer get experience for this encounter."

Why can't I find some guys, kill one and hide, come back and kill the other? Is there something wrong with that?

Then again, this isn't a game where you're meant to solo often. 124 people in antonica (yes, antonica is a zone!) and there were like 15 people lfg! Only one of which was a fighter, and one other a healer.
Why do they still have zones? Zones are a thing of the 90s.

And the game is far too laggy. I have my settings to "very high performance," and I still get some bad FPS frequently. I'm on a p4, 2.8ghz, 1gb of ram with a 9700 pro. Shouldn't the lag be a little lower? Extreme performance is out of the question, that makes the game look horrid. I play WoW with everything set to the maximum and I just about never get fps lag.

Last edited by Slak; 11-01-2004 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:00 PM   #20
Slak
Amazingly Witty Title!

Oh and I just remembered this one (as people just died!)..

Why in the flying f**k do I have to share exp debt when some morons in my group get killed? I'm smart enough to not die, so why do I get the debt? Absolutely stupid idea there.

I especially like it when a gd mofo moron walks up and agros about 4 level 18 Group mobs (and we're a group of level 10s)..getting the whole gd group killed. And of course bringing me to about 25% of my level in debt, which should take..oh....2 levels to work off?

Last edited by Slak; 11-01-2004 at 07:29 PM.