Venator Sapentia

Go Back   Venator Sapentia > << General >> > World of Warcraft

Old 12-12-2003, 10:58 PM   #1
Tanny
Hieeeeeeeeeeeee!

Got back from Gen Con to see WoW

I really didn't pay much attention to it at E3 so I went to GenCon JUST to see WoW and to interrogate the folks at Blizzard. I can say one thing, the game will PWN!

I didn't play though I was offered to. Instead I asked for the rep to play and show me the various aspects of the game. In the end I ended up watching for 3 hrs lol. Ya ya I kno, I'm a sick bastard. Heres a few things i found out.

1. It's alot faster pace than your average MMORPG. It's not diablo but it's certainly not boring to grind xp from what I saw.

2. Theres no /con. Instead when you select an enemy you know theyre exact lvl up to your lvl cap that you would get xp for. After that its ???.

3. Tradeskilling seems to work like the way it does in horizons (down to the mining minerals and etc) cept the fact that you cannot make things in batches. There is also no chance of failure on an item. However it's impossible to make a tradeskill only char as you need to put skillpoints into a tradeskill which you can only get by lvl'ing to access the better items. At the same time you still need to practice the tradeskill to get better at it.

4. Instance dungeons, like LDON, cept no randomization. Only one layout per dungeon. Normal non instanced dungeons also exist.

5. Looting, different types of loot styles which include round robin and master loot. Stuff that YOU can loot will be marked with sparkles which only you can see.

6. Uber items will be NO DROP. However they will not be no drop untill you equip them. Once you equip an item you will not be able to give it to anyone else. This only applies to some items. Aside from that I saw no other restrictions on items aside from the usual class/race/lvl restrictions.

7. each class will have their own mana pool for special abilities. Casters of course its mana. Rogue is energy and warrior is rage. Out of all the classes I found the warrior most interesting. Rage starts at 0. The more the war gets hit or hits his rage goes up. That rage can be used to cast the warrior's skills. Which include skills like taunt, cleave etc. The skills are divided into three stances. The warrior must select a stance to fight in. Defensive stance, Offensive (dont remember the exact name) and berseker. Depending on the stance the warrior's rage meter goes up differently. For instance in the defensive stance the warrior will get more rage being hit rather than hitting etc. Taunt is a defensive stance only skill. You can change stances anytime, however if you do your rage meter goes to 0. Rage also slowly goes down when not fighting.

8. SKills and spells must be learned from trainers and quests. Different trainers around the world will have different skills etc. However they all cost money.

9. There is no sitting. Well, you can sit but it has no effect on your regen. Regen is fairly quick. Items like food and water will make you regen HP/MP faster. I saw a sitting animation when using items of such type so I would assume U cant use food/water while in melee. The mage can summon food/water. From what I saw the mage can summon 1 water which costs 120 mana that will regen 119 mana in 21 seconds. I don't see there being alot of downtime in this game.

10. Paladins have auras like they do in diablo2. They also get ressurection at lvl 12 (max lvl is 60). Warlocks can also summon group members from anywhere in the world. Death is like in DAoC and FFXI where you must wait to be res'ed. However the res time is FIVE mins! WTF! The person showing me the demo said that it should be VERY easy to get a res and that no one will need anymore time over 5 mins. He said that when in a group you can get back to your group fairly quickly because each class has thier own way of handling a dead char. Paladins can res and warlocks can summon were the examples he gave me. Sorry, forgot to ask what were the penalties to dying =p

11. XP... is very much like the way it is in eq. Whomever does the most dmg will get rights to the monster. Theres no xp spread implemented in groups. The way it works is like this.... XP in a group is determined by your lvl vs lvl of the mob. then multiplied by 10% for every extra group member then divided equally amongst the group. However theres a cap on how much XP you can get from a mob. for instance a lvl 1 groups with a lvl 40.. they fight a lvl 30 mob. The xp given to the lvl 40 is the normal *110% then divided by 2. However the lvl one (as an example) will only get xp as if the mob was a lvl 6 * 110% / 2 mob. So inessence the rest of the XP is wasted. This makes it possible for high lvls to still group with lower lvl chars and be able to help them out. Of course theres also a lower cap where you stop getting xp from mobs.

12. n00b mobs include, zombies, giant spiders etc. They specifically stated that they dont want lvl 1 toons hunting rats or insects lol which is a nice change. And yes.. there are COWS in the game.

Phew.. im gonna take a rest.. ill post more in a min =D feel free to ask questions..

Last edited by Tanny; 12-12-2003 at 11:15 PM.
Tanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 02:18 AM   #2
Xandelwyn
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Xandelwyn Send a message via AIM to Xandelwyn
*jealous*

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man
affected us as kids,we'd all be running around in
darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening
to repetitive electronic music"
Xandelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:53 PM   #3
Xandelwyn
Administrator

Lookie here, more Gencon info:

http://www.battle.net/forums/wow/thr...t=4#post850414

http://www.battle.net/forums/wow/thr...t=9#post850193

Old 12-14-2003, 03:26 AM   #4
Geist
Ya I suck - NO TITLE FOR YOU!

I'm quite upset about the hunting zone information. I was really hoping for a kind of AO-style random mission generator. :/
Faith is the antithesis of proof.
<=======---------=======>
Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 03:08 AM   #5
Taker

Send a message via AIM to Taker
i am yet to be impressed to the point of I MUST HAVE THIS by WoW..

<--resident hater
Taker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 03:50 AM   #6
Xandelwyn
Administrator

Ridiculous amount of WoW gencon info can be found here:

http://www.battle.net/forums/wow/thr...155#post854379

Old 12-15-2003, 10:50 AM   #7
Ugglugg

Send a message via Yahoo to Ugglugg
I am sooooo in on this game. Thanks for the links and info all!!!
Old 12-15-2003, 11:20 AM   #8
Grimbone
I am Ogre, Hear me roar.

Send a message via ICQ to Grimbone Send a message via AIM to Grimbone Send a message via MSN to Grimbone Send a message via Yahoo to Grimbone
.....holy...mother....of...God...

It's at this moment, I have become aware of my divinely instilled purpose. I was born, nay created, to play World of Warcraft.

Killer 86%
Achiever 60%
Explorer 33%
Socializer 20%
Grimbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 11:50 AM   #9
Wounder
Small but deadly

Send a message via AIM to Wounder
Damn the realm system. Damn it to hell.
Wounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 01:26 PM   #10
Ming
STFU, I'm The Pope

Sigh. Why does it traumatize me so that this game looks so cool.
Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:22 AM   #11
XecaQuan

Send a message via AIM to XecaQuan
Yes, it is true, I have a woody!

Xecaquan 65 Rogue (Main)
Cerin 65 Shaman (Alt)

Xecatar 63 Necro (retired)

XecaQuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 05:54 PM   #12
Lewal