Venator Sapentia

Go Back   Venator Sapentia > << General >> > General Forum

Old 10-24-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
Laddor
Did I tell Verant to FOAD today?

Appliances

Hey Everyone,

I will be moving to a rental home about three houses down from Grimbone... That could be good or bad. I am hoping that this will be my last rental property, and my wife and I plan on staying there for 18 months. What I need to find is a free standing electric range and a refrigerator. The range can be used, dented & scratched, etc... since I am sure it will not be coming to the next house with us. The refrigerator will most likely be moved into the garage to serve as a food/beverage overflow device after we purchase a home, so it can be new, but I don't need anything fancy. Anyone have ideas on how to find some good deals on these appliances? I figured asking here would be a sure fire way to find some good deals, since all the savy VS folks like to comparison shop and post their findings, or at least pass the word to friends who may be doing similar research.

Thanks,

Ladd

P.S.- How do I get a new title? Come on... When was the last time I actually told Verant to FOAD?

Last edited by Laddor; 10-24-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: added post script
Laddor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
Musashi
Ya I suck - NO TITLE FOR YOU!

Laddor I used to own an Appliance business for 20 y ears until I sold it two years ago to work for a software company.(i still miss owning my own business and being able to take off to do early morning fear runs.. but thats beside the point)

First thing you need to make sure of is it has a warranty. We gave 60days but always looked after the customer if it died completely after that was over usually a discount toward another one. But ours we would run and make sure it was alright before we ever sold it.

You can look on craigs list or even the news paper and find good deals but you always run the risk of getting a lemon.

On the Ref make sure it is plugged in and running before you buy it. Dont let them plug it in while you are there and say "see its starting to get cool" because it could have a freon problem and work a little but not enough to keep things cold and safe.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Musashi

Trying to wrestle two kids before they PK me..

www.C-L-A-W.org
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
Rhyannyn
Kindhearted Dr00dess

What Musashi said - I was going to suggest Craigslist, or maybe the classifieds in the local paper.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
Laddor
Did I tell Verant to FOAD today?

Warranties are good, good things to have. The lack of a warranty makes me hesitant to purchase from an individual, since I really know nothing about appliances. I have never had to purchase appliances before, since all my rental properties included appliances. I don't even know what you could do to screw up an appliance that is only a couple of years old.

Thanks for the responses, I think I'll stick with a scratch & dent outlet or maybe a locally owned shop that resales repaired/refurbed items.

Ladd
Laddor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
Musashi
Ya I suck - NO TITLE FOR YOU!

Laddor most of the appliances I worked on were a couple years old.

When I built my house I went with an old 10 year old wa/dryer over anything new. and in 4 years I have had no problem with it. I could have bought a new one but didnt. I would do the same with a Ref. If you can find one that is 5 years old and working its betterthan something brand new and a better bargain price wise.

Musashi

Trying to wrestle two kids before they PK me..

www.C-L-A-W.org
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
Brilinnia
Iron Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Brilinnia
I'm fond of floor models and scratch & dents. I've bought a new dryer and new garage frig from Best Buy lately both floormodels with full warranty, marked down price, and usually an additional Best Buy gift card of a$150 to $200.